Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I think too much.

Some things I've been thinking about lately include:

1. Writing a novel.

As you probably know, I set out last November to start and finish a novel in a month. As you can guess, I ended up with a pathetic pile of drivel with a Swiss cheese-style plot — stinky and full of holes. I've thought about this a lot and what I've come down to is that my premise was an unclear, sad hot mess.I want to start working on my writing again, but I don't know where to start. I'd really really love to attempt a novel again, but my problem is that I can't come up with a premise that is exciting or compelling to me without seeming really formulaic. I don't know, maybe I'm being picky with my ideas here. In any case, if you have a cool premise you want to let me steal (I'll spin your tin cans into gold!), let me know. Also, I'm taking writing advice.

2. I want an art degree.

I feel like every other job listing I come across is for a graphic designer. And while I've never considered myself to be a particularly talented artist, per se, I want to get an art degree. I LOVE doing things with design (esp. publication design). I took a few design classes and I really, really loved them. Design, typography, printmaking, illustration are all things I'm dying to learn more about.

And I feel that I have a small amount of talent/knack in this area. I think I have that kind of eye, you know? This could also be in my head, or a delusion ingrained into me by being referred to for most of my life as the "creative one" in my family. Being the "creative one" mostly meant that I drew on walls, read too much and hummed to myself nonstop. I guess it sounded better than calling me the "one that's not quite right in the head."

3. I like God.

No, really, I do. He's way awesome and also we're friends. (Should "we're" be capitalized, since part of that is referring to a deity? Will anyone besides me care?) But lately, I've kind of been snubbing Him. Not talking to Him as much as I used to, not reading good books He recommends. But I've also started needing Him a lot, and like the best friend ever, He doesn't hold any of that against me. He just gives me a hug (figuratively) and forgives all, and then helps me with what I need. It's pretty awesome and I am grateful for Him, always.

Also, I started reading one of those books God recommends. Which brings me to my next point....

4. Reading in foreign languages is like playing a super awesome game.

I've been reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish (El Libro de Mormón!) and it's seriously SO FUN. I actually remember to read every night because I'm totally looking forward to it. It's like playing an awesome cross between a Dr. Brain computer game, scripture Trivial Pursuit and Mad Libs. It is interesting how reading in a new language opens up interesting new interpretations of a story most Mormons know really well. I thought I knew the story of Nephi's exodus to the Americas backwards and frontwards, but I TELL YOU, that assumption is being challenged.

2 comments:

Karalee said...

This is my favorite post. I love you. Thanks for being the "creative one", our family would never have been complete without you.

Kristin said...

I am TOTALLY going to start reading El Libro de Mormon! Thank you for the brilliant idea. I can kill two birds w/one stone--brush up on my spanish and read a book that makes me happier in my life.