Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dream on...

Dreams are weird. Some people take them seriously, others don't. All the same, it's interesting to see what your mind comes up with when you're not behind the wheel.


I recently had a nightmare that culminated in Chris leaving me. It wasn't particularly scary, but it was heartbreaking! I woke up and it took almost a full minute to realize it had been a dream. It was still pretty early, around 6, and I reached out for Chris and just started crying. And didn't stop for close to half and hour. Needless to say, it freaked him out a little, but eventually I calmed down. We were even laughing about it later that day.

Las night I had weird dreams about our neighbors. We lived in an apartment complex (not the basement apartment we currently live in) and our neighbors were mad at us because we were "noisy"—when I played the ukulele, or Chris and I even talked before going to bed, we would inevitably end up with some VERY angry neighbor banging on our door. I think this stemmed from a conversation I had yesterday with Tess about apartments and neighbors anda volume levels.

Also, I have these recurring dreams, and I have had them since I was a teenager. They usually come when I'm feeling insecure or stressed out. Needless to say, with my job search still going on, that means even now. Anyway, I have dreams that my teeth somehow fall out. Sometimes I pull them out and then try to put them back in. Other times I realize they are rotten. Sometimes they chip or break in my mouth. I have even had them crumble to dust in my hands. Apparently dreams about your teeth falling out are actually very common, which is totally random and bizarre.

I don't really try to interpret my dreams, but I will often think about the general feel of a dream and see where that parallels how I feel about my life situation. If I have dreams about my teeth, for instance, it's a pretty safe bet that I'm feeling down on myself, and my dreams help me notice that. And the super scary dream about Chris leaving me was really unpleasant, but it helped me to realize that I was feeling very rejected—by Chris in my dream, and from my job search IRL. My dreams can often help me to realize what's going on in my emotional world so I can try to feel better.

How about you? How much credence do you give to your dreams? Do you have any recurring dreams? What have your dreams been about lately?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I have had a lot of nightmares lately, but I'm sure they're due to being nervous and stressed (I'm on a job hunt, too). One thing that helps me is to listen to soft music before I go to bed and clearing my mind of sad thoughts. Last night I was dream-free! :)