Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Guide to Multicultural Vegetarianism


I can make yummy pad thai!

If there is one thing I love most about being a vegetarian, it has been learning to broaden my palate and appreciate new tastes. I never liked mushrooms, and then I decided to forgo meat; now they are one of my favorite foods.

The thing about being married to a vegetarian of 11 years is that Chris knows all the secrets. And the best one is that Americans suck at meat-free entrees, but that everyone else (with a few exceptions—here's looking at you, China) pretty much rocks at it.

I had never tried Indian food until I was a vegetarian, and now I crave it pretty much all day long. It's the best in the whole world. See what I mean? Weirdly enough, cutting out meat really opened up my mind to alls kinds of foods.

So here is my multicultural guide to vegetarianism. Basically, this is what you've gotta try in this particular branch of cuisine, my top picks for vegetarian-friendly cuisines.

Thai
Appetizer: Spring Rolls, fresh or fried
Entrees: Pad Thai, Mango Curry with tofu; you can order almost any dish at a Thai place and substitute tofu for meat.
Dessert: Mango with sticky rice. Best thing ever.

Indian
Appetizer: You can't go wrong with somosas and naan.
Entrees: Paneer Tikka Masala (a creamy curry with cheese cubes in it), Matar Paneer (cheese cubes in curry with green peas), Coconut Vegetable Curry, Chana Masala (a red curry with chickpeas), Malai Kofta (fried veggie balls in curry)
Dessert: Lassi as a beverage, Gulab Jamun (fried dough balls w/ powdered sugar)

Mediterranean
Appetizer: Why, hummus, of course! If you want to mix it up, try fool (fah-ool), which is hummus made of fava beans.
Entrees: Falafel wrap (of course), Roasted Stuffed Peppers, Lentil Soup
Dessert: Baklava

Ukrainian/Russian
Appetizer: Green Borsch (also called Okroshka), Pirozhki (deep-fried potato pie)
Entrees: Blinok (a thicker, Russian version of a crepe; get it with raisins and nuts or cheese and mushrooms), Verenyki (potato- or onion-filled dumplings. Chris informs me they can be filled with almost anything, including cherry, cabbage, and so on.)
Dessert: Napoleon Tort, a sweet Blinok or Verenyki

Mexican
Appetizer: Chips and salsa and guac, duh.
Entrees: Breakfast burrito, Cheese Enchiladas, Veggie Burritos, Nachos! Get extra beans instead of meat.
Desert: Mmm rice pudding. And who doesn't love some horchata?

No comments: