Howdy, y'all! I haven't done a Menu Monday in a while. Well, I really only ever did one. Shame on me. But here is a new one.
I've kind of hit a recipe rut, you know, cooking the same things over and over. So I decided to go hunting the internet for some tasty veg recipes. I found this month's vegetarian menu complete with a shopping list (and coming up with a shopping list could be one of the chores I hate most), it seemed plenty worth giving it a try. This is the first recipe from the menu.
Salsa Fry-Up
In the summer, make this with fresh tomatoes, peppers, corn, and cilantro. It'll knock your socks off! However, the version below takes about 15 minutes to whip up if you have rice ready. This serves 2 people with leftovers for lunch, or 2 adults and 2 children.
- 1 sm onion, diced. Sautee in some oil and add...
- 2 c. black beans {I substituted one can w/ pinto}
- 2-3 tbl. chili seasoning (add 1/2-1 tsp. salt if it has no salt added) {I substituted taco seasoning just fine}
- 1/2 tsp cumin {I thought I had cumin but I was wrong! I subbed coriander}
- 1 tbl. flour
- 1/2 c. water. Simmer until thickened, then add:
- 1/2 jar salsa {I used pineapple salsa for a sweet kick!}
- About 2 c. cooked rice {I put the salsa fry-up on my brown rice rather than mixing it together}
- Heat through and top with more salsa, shredded cheese, and a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream, as desired. {I also added for toppings: fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges. Delicious!}
This would be easy to add some ground beef to. Just cook it up w/ the onions, and add the chili powder at that point, too.
The meal turned out delicious and was fast to make. I must say, just from looking at the recipe, I didn't expect to be impressed—but I really was! Chris also liked it.
No comments:
Post a Comment