Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Name Game



“How do you feel about the name Milton?”

“Do you hate that kid?” Chris replied.

“Maybe I would,” I retorted.

“Then Milton would be a great name.”

Any time I suggest a name to Chris, this is pretty much how the conversation goes. I tend to like old-fashioned names, like Wilford or Madge. Or names that have literary significance, like Seymour (from J.D. Salinger’s Glass family) or Finnegan (James Joyce). Or ones that do both, like Ezra (Pound) or Virginia (Woolf).

But then Chris likes really boring names. Like Peter or Jane.

For now, it’s a fun game. But I have the feeling that some day my husband is going to pay off some doctor to put me under long enough to change the kid’s name to something more innocuous than Ernest. You know, like pretty much any name out there.

Nonetheless, there are a few names we’ve managed to agree on. Here they are:

Male:
Seth
Liam
Peter

Female:
Leila
Jean
Kalina (Lina for short)

Also, this is tangential, but what is up with parents giving their kids long names with the intention of shortening them? If you want a kid called Cal, name him Cal, not freaking Callahan. Want an Emmy? How’s about just naming your daughter Emmy instead of Emeline?

Now, if it’s a family name and then you shorten it or something like that, that’s fine. Whatever. But the rest of you parents, cut it out.

Don’t burden your kid with the name Gertrude if she’s just gonna end up being Trudy. In fact, don’t name her Gertrude at all. Even I can agree that that’s cruel.

4 comments:

Mykii Liu said...

I would so call Kalina, Kali. soo call kali... totally Kalina.

JGW said...

Elyssa, I adore you. I love that I can hear your voices in the little conversation you posted. And I like the name Liam.

Janelle said...

We like Liam too! It was in the running when Byron was on the way! Hasn't come up for this little guy though! I like the names you both like! Cute picture! I love you, it was so fun to hang out with you and Chris! He will be a really cute daddy, no matter what you name your kiddos! :)

Kristin said...

Cute picture of you two, and I enjoyed reading this post and picturing the bantering, especially since we've done our share of that over names at our house. Love you guys!