Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Big Move


\So we've done it. I spent many bored hours in the car, turning my seatbelt into a mustache (or an approximation of one), but we did it.

Somehow, we managed to pack up and move across the country, from Utah to North Carolina. It's been a crazy flurry of activity over the past fews months, with plenty of stress added in, but overall we're happy.

This week is Chris's first of the semester. He's been loving it, feeling really glad that he made the decision to go to Elon's Interactive Media program. But I have been realizing — Chris is going to be busy. He's had projects already that he's had to spend several hours on, and those are only introductory. It's starting to look more and more like I'm not going to be seeing too much of Chris over the next 9 months (and I can't believe that it will only be 9 months—it's going to fly by).

I'm trying to stay optimistic about that, though. It will be a change of pace from the year so far, where maybe we had a little too much time to be around each other, since we worked at the same place. And then drove home together. And ate together. And laughed together. Brushed our teeth together. You get the picture. But I think that the next few months will present us with some new challenges, and in many ways, blessings. Different circumstances allow for a relationship to grow in a different way—and we'll choose to make that positive and great.

I've started working as a staff member for the magazine, Autism Asperger's Digest. It's been informative and I've learned a lot. I love my boss, Kim, and I'm so happy to be working for a magazine again. I love magazines. The job is really flexible, and I do most of it from home. It's part time, so I'm hoping to find someplace else willing to pay me to work for them, just to fill in my schedule. And make more money. And to not have to spend so many hours alone in my house while Chris is busy busy busy.

A lot of big changes. And a lot more to come, to. It seems that, for the past two years, I've never known where I was going to be or what I was going to be doing further than six months in the future. And now is more of the same. I know we'll be here at least until Chris graduates, but what then? Stay in NC for a bit longer? Head out west?

Sometimes I feel totally seasick being out in the unknown waters of life. But looking forward, I feel good about things, optimistic. Maybe I've finally got my sealegs and learned to go with the flow better. Things take care of themselves, and there's still time between here and land to decide which harbor we're heading for. And that's where I'm going to stop this convoluted analogy before it gets too out of hand.

No comments: