Which, as you probably know, makes me pretentious.
By definition of being an English major, I know more and have better tastes than you. It's just a fact.
Another byproduct of studying literature is the gross compulsion I have, upon finishing a good book, to talk about it. In fact, it often pains me to read books outside of a class, because the chances of finding an intelligent human to discuss it with are greatly reduced.
For instance, I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I was in the Spori office with it sitting next to me, and a friend walked up to me and asked me how I liked it. I replied that while it was a very despairing, I still found it very hopeful.
"Yea, I didn't really like his punctuation style. He left out apostrophes all over the place--it drove me crazy," he said.
I stared at him blankly. That's the style he wrote it in; that's the point, I explained. It helps construct the monotonous tone.
"I don't know. And what's up with the boy and the father not having names? That drove me crazy. And I really wish the book had had more of an exposition. We don't even know how the world got to its post-apocalyptic state," he said.
Again, I was confused. An exposition? Names? They would have ruined the book. It would be a completely different novel.
The father and son remaining nameless—that was the point. When there is only one person in your world, do they need a name? Do they need some distinguishing label?
I guess, as an English major, I have had an abiding trust of authors and writers imbedded in my psyche. When a writer does something like leave a character nameless, or drop me into a post-apocalyptic world without much explanation, I assume it is for a reason. There is a purpose for this, a statement being made, and if I don’t see it, it just means I need to look harder.
But then, maybe I shouldn’t go around assuming these writers are smart. At least, smarter than me.
Perhaps my friend is right, and he does know better than Mr. McCarthy how his book should have been written.
For now, I think I'll just have to stop reading extracurricularly.
It's causing me to lose faith in my generation.
5 comments:
The book was beautiful, hands down. It didn't need explanations or names because that wasn't the point. Sometimes I think people need to read a little harder. :)
Glad you're meeting your New Year's goals to write more and read good books. Maybe we could read and discuss a book together--I'd love that. We'd go into the experience knowing that you know more and have better tastes than I do since you're the English major. :) It would be fun! Let me know if it sounds fun to you, too, and we'll do it. You could even choose the book since you have better taste. :) Love you!
You are hilarious. I love you. Favorite line, "It's causing me to lose faith in my generation."
You are priceless. I mean that.
AAAAAAHAHAHA My pretentious scholar, I'm showing this to Ashley ASAP! Kristin's comment made me laugh aloud. Also Karalee's. LAVA YOU. YAAAAAANG.
HA! From one English major to another . . . this post spoke to me.
Post a Comment