2009 was an odd year. It brought a lot of learning and growth, but that came with heartaches and pains attached. It’s been humbling; the kind of year that leaves one feeling enlarged but deflated.
Every Christmas Eve my family has a gathering in which we share our feelings about Christ, His gospel and His love. This year, we upheld the tradition, minus one; my brother-in-law, Robert, who passed away on December 13th. The convictions and thoughts we shared were more sober and tender than they have been in past years.
“It’s been a hard, painful year for all of us,” said Brandon. “But I feel prompted to say that 2010 will bring a lot of healing and resolution to our family.”
I believe that statement.
I’m hopeful for the new year, and for the new decade.
I want to be more, to do more. I’m not much of a goal-maker, but I’ve gotten the feeling lately that I need to make goals for 2010.
I don’t like setting goals, usually. They seem trivial and insubstantial: getting good grades, writing a book, exercising daily, going on a lot of dates— these kinds of goals serve a purpose, but at the end of the year, these are arbitrary.
Especially now, with the loss of a loved one. I can’t help but look at things differently. At years-end, when I evaluate the person I’ve grown into in those twelve months, I won’t be looking at things like that.
In a year’s time, when I look back on 2010, I’ll be asking:
Did I grow my love?
Did I heal hearts?
Did I nurture my soul?
Did I change my small corner of the world for the better?
I recognize that I'm getting grandiose here. I'm getting sentimental, perhaps. And, as my Dad would say, my hippie is showing.
But still, I believe:
Goals should clarify. They should simplify.
My goals for 2010:
-Develop consistent, daily spiritual habits (starting with praying every morning and night).
- Develop the attribute of charity.
- Write more. Write better.
- Spend time in nature once a week.
- Serve some one. Every day.
- Get enough sleep (eight hours a night, minimum).
- Read two excellent books a month.
3 comments:
Beautifully put. I am feeling this same way. I love you.
I love New Year's because it tends to be such a reflective time, and in your case, especially with the recent loss of a loved one. My condolences.
I think what you said about so many insubstantial goals is true--my goals for 2009 were good, I think, but I don't know how much better of a person I am because of them. Here's the challenge, though: how do you keep track of the lives you've touched or changes you've made in the world when so many of the seeds one plans take so long to germinate? And how do you keep up motivation without being able to see the results of your efforts?
You described the effects of this year perfectly. I love you and miss you already! Thank you for inspiring me to make meaningful goals this year. It's going to be an amazing year.
Post a Comment