Ok, so it's been a while since I've updated and I definitely have some things to share.
So, for my Birthday I bought myself two tops from Buckle--and they are way cute! One is an awesome marbled green/brown/rust top. The other is flowy with flutter sleeves and is this awesome teal color. So, that was fun.
I have two gigantic mosquito bites--they are so vicious! Hopefully one of these days my body will figure out how to handle bug bites and pollen without freaking out quite so much. My allergies have been bugging a lot, too.
Drew and I are no longer dating. Just fyi!
So on Monday, I got up and got ready and everything, and left for work at around 7:50. I was walking down the sidewalk by the girls dorm, and I suddenly heard this weird clattering noise--like someone was running pretty fast and oddly behind me. I didn't get too much time to think about it before a moose shot out from behind me! It was crazy! After I figured out what it was, I said a quick prayer of thanks that it didn't charge me or anything. It wasn't very big and its antlers were small as well. It kind of ran onto the grass by the next dorm complex, then turned back onto the sidewalk. A bunch of kids for EFY were standing on the sidewalk. A couple of the girls screamed and ran, while three guys stood there and took pictures. The moose just kept on running past them into the Taylor courtyard and right on through campus. I don't know where it ended up--I'm just glad that happened in the morning when there weren't many people around on campus! It was very odd to see, but cool all the same. Idaho is such a funny place!
I'm pretty anxious to be heading home. It's only 3 weeks from today--which is crazy when I think about all the work I still need to get done. I'm having fun though, and I'm definitely not as stressed out as I was last time I wrote. It is nice because in all of my classes I'm just having a final project, not a test, which means as long as I get everything done my last week of school won't be too crazy and crammed with studying.
I just got done with the poetry unit in my Creative Writing class, and I was pretty satisfied with how a couple turned out. I've decided to include them for you all to (hopefully) enjoy.
I love you all, and for those of you in Vegas, I can't wait to see you in three weeks!
Phoenix
Electric, and so
can animate.
Or burn. Raze:
Incinerate
Lightningfirelash
—set that forest ablaze!
Glowing ashes will, alone,
verdant saplings raise
for that soot will teach more
than the oak ever knew
Of how It Was, Is:
Lived, stood, grew
Into something aliver
Despite how amort—
salubrious, and so:
Strengthen, support.
Seal Carcass on the Beach: Newport, CA
A bulging eye, both gazing and glazed; it stared
Intently with the blindness of death, no brain
Inside that skull, just a mess of gray, blood, veins:
Or so I imagined as I squatted and stared
Back into that void, and wondered where the spark
Fled to when extinguished. The body was half
Smothered in sand, the breeze delighted to waft
Its fishy stench up, out, over the spark-
Ling waves. With each break of brine the seal
Would rock slightly, steam rising from its body
In the cool January air, evidence of its rotting.
But what power the dead held to seal
me in place like no living creature
Ever had, in zoo, national park, or even
the stuffed statues of the natural history museum
all those glass eyes. All those dead creatures
so much neater than this mass of decaying flesh .
in our world of morgues and street sweepers, garbage
trucks to collect our refuse, so rarely must we live
amongst the waste and messiness that flesh
out this world; perhaps it is the absence
of such that makes its rare appearance enthrall
so thoroughly, and fascinate: reminded of the slow crawl
of life to our eventual abandoning and absence.
Saguaro
desert growing fingers,
small hairs of spines
cool glass bead in hand,
water droplets.
I stand, arms up,
never tiring, always burning.
o simple so quaint so profound.
Leading the lost:
upward bound.
Playing with Black Cats
The firecracker exPLODED
Upon me! Heat meeting
volatility in my hand—
finger + thumb = Violently
divided by a SNAP.
the fuse was: too short. and
— I knew it. but still . . .
it had to be lit.
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing your creativity and the moose story (Crazy!) Your poems and vocabulary are amazing. I love looking at the world through your eyes, which I feel I get to do when I read your works of art. Keep it up! Good luck the next 3 weeks. May they be AWESOME!!! Lots of love!
Hey you are utterly amazing and I am glad you weren't a mooses muffin for breakfast!! Las Vegas is badly in need of some de-lish Elyssa loving! I am excited you will be home so soon. Good luck on the next week and a hlaf.
half, I meant half. The next 5 months will rock your socks.
Post a Comment